Saturday, June 23, 2012

January 27, 2011 Board Teleconference Meeting Minutes

FROM: Bob Dieterich, president
Beverley "Sue" Jacobson, secretary
RE: LHA Teleconference Meeting Minutes
DATE: January 27, 2011

CALL TO ORDER: President Bob Dieterich called the meeting to order 7:05 pm CST.

ROLL CALL: Present: Bob Dieterich CA, president; Beverley "Sue" Jacobson IL, secretary; Jess Petersen UT, Treasurer; Randy Wagner WY, Executive Advisor; Jerry Peppers NY; Jeff Blair IN; Kay Shelton IL; Lennie Stubblefield NE; Bob Beaudoin UT; Jim Bonar NV; Brian Butko PA, At Large #1; Jim Peters MA, At Large #2; Van Becker IA, At Large #3; Ron Colson IL, At Large #4 (called in to be excused) Not Present: Jeff LaFollette IA, Vice President; Al Pfingstl NJ; Mindy Crawford PA; Mike Buettner OH; Shelly Horne WY; Tim Wunsch CO

MINUTES: Secretary Jacobson had sent the minutes of the last Teleconference to all the board members for their perusal. There were no additions or corrections. Kay Shelton made the motion to accept the minutes, seconded by Jerry Peppers; carried

TREASURER'S REPORT: Treasurer Petersen reported the following:
--Year End Report: Income: $90,972
--Expenses: $92,199 (in red...spent more than we earned)
--Start of Year: Checking Account $3,665; Paid out to Cassler for printing Fall Forum; paid Kathy Franzwa for editing the winter Forum
--Insufficient funds, so transferred $5,000 out of Performance Fund to
checking, which now has a balance of $7,300
--Dues money coming in, most at the new rate
--Paid on this year's conference, which is a lot more money requested up front than other years' conferences
--$11,00 needs to be paid to the Life Membership Fund--we don't have it
--The Winter Forum has the conference registration form
--One full scale audit held three years ago since Jess has been yearly one; a suggestion there should be an annual one

--Bob Dieterich had invited Bob Lichty to sit in on teleconference
--Lichty asked Brian to prepare a book(s) for the 2013 east/west tours
--Invest $75,000 in a new book, or update Greetings Book
--Will need money no matter what the choice
--Discussion of type and number of books
-photo book, large format; maps/tour guide, 100 years of LH
--Publishers suggested
--A committee needed to look into all the possibilities
--Jeff Blair (IN); Jess Petersen (UT) Randy Wagner (WY); Jerry Peppers (NY) volunteered to work with Brian
--2 of maps, the other commemorative photos
--Samples of these books to be sent to Brian
--Committee will send report to the board later
--There was discussion about various on-line publishers that would be much cheaper than traditional publishers

--Bob Dietrich contacted Tom Lockard our committee chair for Fund Raising to attend this evening's Teleconference, but he couldn't make it
--Tom had suggested earlier that stocks and bonds can be given to us with out taxes
--Bob asked for ideas from the board and possibly members
--Jim Peters (MA) suggested contacting businesses along the LH to join
--Bricks for placement at a designated LH site
--A national project on our own property
--Kearney, NE was suggested, but they have their own project
--Other ideas included western terminus in San Francisco, Headquarters in Illinois, eastern terminus in NY,
--A plaque of some sort with brass plates designating donors in honor of the 100th anniversary of the LHA, or any other donors; could be a traveling plaque
--Need a standing committee to come to meetings with ideas/proposals
--Bob D was to contact Tom Lockard to get a committee together

--Jim e-mailed the members concerning his contact with Packard Club
--Their car tour is same time as our 2013 tour
--LHA used American Road Magazine for advertising the LH and they in turn used our publication to advertise; we should try to reactivate this participation
--Bob will call them regarding this concern
--Gregory Franzwa formerly wrote a column for the American Road Magazine, which Lee Whiteley is now doing..Lee was contacted by the magazine without contacting us for Greg's replacement
--Jim suggested sending a letter and copies of the Forum to the 36 board members of the Packard Club to inform them of the content and quality of the magazine
--Decision was made to have Jim Peters proceed with his plan and to contact board members for extra Forums for him to send to the Packard board

--Sent out 100 letters to businesses, organizations, clubs, etc. informing them of the LHA upcoming 100th Anniversary Car Tours and Conference
--PBS wants to film the tour
--Jeff was contacted by The Classic Car Club of America from someone in Milwaukee, with their headquarters in Chicago interested in joining the tours
--Jim Peters will work with Jeff on this
--Bob Dieterich reported a Norwegian Antique Car Club plans on shipping 100 cars over here July 1st for a tour of the LH starting in NY and following the LH across the U.S.
--Suggestions were made to use Paul Gilger's maps for them to purchase
--They could printout maps from the CDs
--Bob D will contact Paul concerning this
--Bob also reported our web site guru Jim Lin, is no longer employed by IBM, but is employed by Google. He is working to get the LH on Google maps
--Jeff also reported there is an LH display in the Automotive Hall of Fame in Dearborn, MI, which has been on display since 1947. He will work to update the display
--Jeff would like to hold off on the Marketing reporting. A PR person is needed for this committee
--The IN website is now up and running
--Jeff will be walking across the state of IN on the LH to promote awareness of the LH, April 14 to 27, 2011.
--Volkswalk people will walk some of the way with him

--Jerry Peppers brought up a proposed amendment to the by-laws. He will send the proposal for the change at the next meeting.
--Need to change the LHA Membership meeting at the annual conference to a day other than the last day of the conference
--Jerry will send the proposal to Bob D, who will send it to the LHA board
--Jim Bonar reiterated the necessity of reserving rooms at one of the two hotels we've booked for the 2011 conference so we'll be able to make the quota of 85 room nights

NEXT MEETING: Thursday, April 28, 2011

ADJOURNMENT: Jerry Peppers made the motion to adjourn at 8:55 CDT, seconded by Jim Peters; carried
Beverley "Sue" Jacobson, secretary

No comments: